Monday, April 8, 2013


               My all time favorite cookie is shortbread.  I also really like sugar cookies.  At odds with these two favorite cookies is the fact that I like moist cake-like cookies.  So, I have attempted to capture the essence of the shortbread cookie in a softer form. 
               My first attempt was close but left a sugary after taste that I didn’t care for.  I have for years added a little pepper to my sugar cookies to give them another layer of flavor.  I tried it here and it changed the after taste to a hint of spice that most people will never guess to be pepper.
               In my quest for cake-like I actually achieved a little bit of chewiness that I really like with this cookie.  I hope you enjoy them.  Let me know at tom.aka.santa@gmail.com



Sugar Cookie Surprise

Ingredients:
         3½-3¾ Cups Flour
         ¾ Cup Sugar
         1¼ Teaspoon Baking Soda
         1 Teaspoon White (or Black) Pepper
         ¼ Teaspoon Salt
         1 Tablespoon Vanilla
         ½ Cup Butter
         ¾ Cup White Corn Syrup
         1 Beaten Egg

Directions:
         Combine dry ingredients
         Warm syrup and butter in sauce pan over medium low heat until butter melts (alternately, warm in microwave for about 90 seconds and stir until butter melts reheating if needed)
         Cool syrup mixture to about room temperature and add beaten egg
         Combine all ingredients and mix well.
         Cover and chill at least 2 hours
         Form into golf ball sized balls, roll balls in sugar and flatten to 1/4 inch on a cookie sheet lined with non stick aluminum foil.
         Bake at 375 degrees for 8-12 minutes
         Cool slightly before removing from cookie sheet

Yield:
         3 dozen 


No comments:

Post a Comment